Yield: Serves 6, based on 1 slice per person
Prep Time: 1.5 Hours
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Quadruple this recipe to make 4 tarts
- 1 red beet
- 1 golden beet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water, beaten
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons honey
- fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Slice the greens off the beets and scrub the outsides. Rub them down with olive oil then wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Roast for 1 hour, or until tender enough to slice. Unwrap the beets and let cool until they are comfortable to the touch. Once cool, rub the beets to remove the skin. It should peel right off!
- Using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice the beets into 1/4-inch slices. I like to always start with the golden beet so the color remains and it doesn’t turn red.
- Place the thawed puff pastry on a baking sheet. Brush it with the beaten egg wash. Take 4 ounces of the goat cheese and spread it evenly over the pastry. Add the sliced beets on top – however you’d like. Season with the salt and pepper and crumble the remaining goat cheese on top. Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden. Remove and drizzle the honey over top. Garnish with a few basil leaves. Serve immediately.